Flux Reviews: Isla and the Happily Ever After ARC by Stephanie Perkins

3:34 pm


Soon to be available 2014
Title: Isla and the Happily Ever After                   
Author: Stephanie Perkins                                
Publication Date: Soon: August 2014              
Publisher: Dutton                                             
Format: Trade Paperback, ARC                        
Price: ₱??? (ARC: Priceless) $14.21 (Amazon)


Plot Synopsis:


Love ignites in the City That Never Sleeps, but can it last?

Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on introspective cartoonist Josh since their first year of the School of America in Paris. And after chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to confront the challenges every young couple must face, including family drama, uncertainty about their college futures, and the very real possibility of being apart.

Featuring cameos from fan-favorites Anna, Etienne, Lola, Cricket, this sweet and sexy story of true love--set against the stunning backdrops of New York City, Paris and Barcelona--is a swoonworthy conclusion to Stephanie Perkins's beloved series.


 (If you haven't seen my post about Stephanie Perkins's book signing last Sunday, It's advisable to see it first. Here's the recap.)



The Review


I nabbed this ARC copy when I went as 4th in line for Stephanie Perkins's book signing last Sunday July 6. So, thank you very much Stephanie Perkins for writing these amazing books and for Jarrod Perkins for coaxing her everyday to write said books and to National Bookstore for hosting the event and for giving us these ARCs!!


I got so engrossed by this novel that I sometimes forgot to write notes for this review, so please pardon the lack of flavour and coherency.


A lot of people has been talking about this book for months now, on Facebook, on the Internet and in real life. And I totally understand why;


First of all, I like how Isla Martin goes to all this trouble just to meet-up again with Josh Wasserstein to apologize to him. It kinda reminds me of, well, me. ( In a positive way! not the stalker kinda thing! XD ) To me, this shows how much she cares about him and about how much she'd go just to see him again. (Chapter 3 and I'm already feeling the feels!) She's walk to the ends of the Earth just see him, to hear him, to touch him, to be with him,

During the first chapter you'll be thrown head-first into the middle of Isla and Josh's summer, It's kinda confusing for a while because it's in Isla's perspective and she's totally bonkers on painkillers for her extracted wisdom tooth. (Is this considered a spoiler?). You'll be introduced pretty quickly to her crush on Josh. Which, if you remember in Anna and the French Kiss, she was seen a few times and already she's been hinted at having a romantic interest in him.

I like Isla Martin's character (Because I can relate and because I actually like her as a protagonist),  She's a fun, smart and quirky girl she's but kinda socially awkward  and she's reluctant to take on risks. (* Minor Spoilers*) But in the end she eventually finds herself and becomes courageous and she finally finds  her "Happily Ever After" With Josh, someone she can't ever stand to be without. She likes to read books about adventure and danger but she can't bring herself to take risks and live a little. Which is why her being with Josh balances them both out.

I was a bit shocked when I saw that this novel had quite a number of swear words, about one curse word per chapter. It's a bit strange to see that much profanity in one of Stephanie Perkins's books, but of coarse you have to bear in mind that this is the "Advance Uncorrected Galley". But I like how much more you can express with swear words in your literary arsenal.

I love the flirting and the romance in this book, (Although it is more fast-paced than her other works) It's got the right amount of flirtation and kissing. You'll see that Isla and Josh were once shy to confess to their mutual attraction to each other but once they let it out, it's like a dam bursting in love and affection. They become inseparable lovers but can their love for each other last when college is just around the corner?

Concerning Josh. To me, he strikes me as a bit reckless, brash and rebellious. I mean, I don't blame him. If your father was a powerful man and your family was always distant with you, I'd be rebellious too. But back in Anna and the French Kiss, he was introduced to us as that cool, laid-back, artistic kinda guy. He's still pretty much the same except his character development really hit the peak near the middle of the book.

This is one of those books that you can't help but read in just one sitting, it's also a book that you don't want ending, you just want it to continue and continue and continue.




"There," He says. "I've been waiting a long time to do that."
Not nearly as I've been waiting.



My Rating:

5 out of 5 Fallen Stars

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi Laurence! Awesome looking blog! :) Thanks for commenting on my post, by the way. Great review of Isla. There are no spoilers, which is good. Glad you had fun reading Isla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anette! Thanks for commenting on my posts. I didn't want people to be spoiled, which is why it took me such a long time making this post. Thanks again! :D

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images